The Chihuahua Pug mix is also also known as a Chug. A Chug is a cross between a purebred Chihuahua with a purebred Chinese Pug. Chihuahua Pug mixes are small dogs that weigh between 10 and 20 pounds making them perfect for apartment dwellers.
Chugs are adorable, loving, compact, and popular mixed dogs. This is expected because he comes from two very popular breeds.
Pugs rank 31st as the most popular dogs in the US and the Chihuahuas rank in the 3rd position.
-If you are thinking of getting a Chihuahua Pug mix keep on reading to find out more about the crossbreed.
- About the Chihuahua Pug mix
- Chihuahua Pug mix General Characteristics
- Chihuahua Pug mix temperament and personality
- Frequently Asked Questions
- History of the Chihuahua Pug mix
- How to take care of a Pug Chihuahua Mix
- Some of the health concerns
About the Chihuahua Pug mix
Chugs are small dogs and some of the most popular mixed dogs. They stand between 6 and 12 inches and weight between 10 and 20 pounds.
Chihuahua Pug mixes also have a life expectancy of 10 to 13 years and is believed to be healthier than their purebred parents.
However, there is no scientific backing to prove that they are healthier.
This dog’s personality can vary from one cross to another but he is known for being a great family dog and is perfect for apartment dwellers that are looking for a compact dog.
Chugs are also are great with children but due to their fragile nature, the play between these toy dogs and children should be supervised.
Unfortunately, the Pug and Chi mix are not recognized by any of the major Kennel clubs but is recognized by several designer dog registries that include;
- The International Designer Canine Registry
- American Canine Hybrid club
- Designer Dogs Kennel Club
- Dog Registry of America.inc
- Designer Breed Registry
Pros and cons
✓ Low grooming requirements.
✔ Chugs are compact and great for apartment living.
✓ They are affectionate and family-friendly.
✔ Moderate exercise needs.
✗ They are prone to separation anxiety and should not be left alone.
✘ Chihuahua Pug mixes are prone to obesity.
✗ They snore a lot.
✘ Are hard to leash walks.
Fun facts about the Chug crossbreed
- This is a mix between two ancient dog breeds and was first seen in the early 2000s.
- Some Chugs can have tails with two curls.
- These crossbreeds were bred to be lapdogs and are very affectionate.
- Some Chihuahua Pug mixes have a soft spot in their heads similar to a baby’s molera that should not be poked.
- These dogs are very smart and are, therefore, very trainable.
- Some Chugs can be fierce towards other dogs outside their breeds and other humans. It is important to socialize them from an early age.
- This is one of the smallest crossbreed dogs and can weigh as little as 6 pounds.
Chihuahua Pug mix General Characteristics
|Chug summary table|
|Height||6 to 12 inches|
|Weight||10 to 20 pounds|
|Lifespan||10 to 13 years|
|Breed Type||mixes and more|
|Purpose||Companion and family dog|
|Suitable For||Families, couples, and even single individuals|
|Color Variations||Brown, tan, white, or fawn|
|Health concerns||Breathing problems, Degenerative eye disease, and Progressive retinal atrophy|
|Temperament||adorable, loyal, energetic, playful, affectionate, and active|
|Other Names||Pughuahua, Pugwawa, Chug|
Height and weight
The Chug crossbreed is a toy dog that weighs between 10 and 20 pounds and stands between 6 and 12 inches. However, this is going to depend on the parents’ breeds and may vary widely.
Pughuahua Physical Appearance
The Chihuahua Pug mix looks more like a miniature Boxer.
They are mostly short, have wrinkled faces, droopy ears, and should also have squished muzzles. This is a brachycephalic dog due to this squished face appearance.
Generally, these dogs have sturdy and muscular bodies with round faces and brown adorable eyes.
However, you may notice that your Chug pup may have more erect ears and this goes to show that he has more Chihuahua genes.
These are just some of the features that you can expect from your Pug and Chihuahua mix.
Coat types and shedding level
The coat of a Pug and Chihuahua mix is usually short and smooth. However, there also some Chugs that have long double coats with undercoats and are bred from the long-haired Chihuahua.
You can also expect some feathering at the legs of a long-haired Chug crossbreed.
Depending on the coat type, this hybrid dog can have varying levels of shedding from low to moderate throughout the year.
This dog is, therefore, not considered to be hypoallergenic and may not be best suited for you if you or any member of your family is an allergy sufferer.
If you are looking for a hypoallergenic dog you may want to consider one of the dog that is in this handy guide.
Below are some of the coat colors that may appear on your Pughuahua:
- Cream and fawn
- Chocolate or brown
Chug generations and multigenerations
A Chihuahua Pug generation can affect both his appearance, temperament, and personality traits. It is, therefore, important to familiarize yourself with the Chug generations before buying.
Each generation of mixes has different traits when compared to others.
However, this is a fairly new crossbreed that first appeared in the early 2000s and is unlikely to have multi-generations.
But here are some of the generations that this dog can have;
- F1 Chihuahua Pug mix– Is a cross between a Purebred Pug and a Purebred Chihuahua.
- F1B Chihuahua Pug mix– Is a cross between an F1 Chug with either a purebred Chihuahua or Pug.
- F2 Chihuahua Pug mix– Is a cross between two F1 Chugs.
Chihuahua Pug mix temperament and personality
The Chug’s temperament and personality will be mainly affected by the way you raise him and who he interacts with.
However, there are some traits that you can expect from this dog.
Pug and Chihuahua mixes are known to be extremely confident dogs and make up for their lack in size with their huge personalities.
These dogs are friends to other animals and humans alike. They may be a bit wary to strangers in the initial stages but will take time and warm up to them.
You will need to ensure that this dog gets correctly socialized from an early. This will need to be combined with training to get rid of any unwanted behaviors.
Generally, Chugs are sweet yet sassy dogs that will give and show you lots of love and affection.
If you are looking for a dog with a loving temperament and is naturally friendly then this is the doggo for you. Even when you have young children in the house he is going to keep them entertained.
You just have to make sure that your children know what to do and what not to do during play.
These dogs are not known to be destructive and do not bark a lot but may develop the small dog syndrome if not raised correctly.
To summarize it, this is a great dog for a family with children and other pets due to his warm and loving temperament.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Chihuahua Pug mix called?
The Chihuahua Pug mix is also known as a Chug, Puhwawa, or Pughuahua.
How much does a Pug Chihuahua mix cost?
The average cost of a Pug Chihuahua mix is about $800 but the price can vary between $600 and $1200 and will depend on the breeder and your location.
Do Pugwawas have health problems?
Chugs may develop some health complications that are common to both Pugs and Chihuahuas. Some of the most common conditions are patellar luxation, hip dysplasia, and eye diseases. You should very cautious of the breeder that you get you Pug Chihuahua mix from.
Are Chugs aggressive dogs?
A Chug dog is not known for being very aggressive and is a very friendly dog. They may be wary of strangers on their first encounter but they later warm up to them.
History of the Chihuahua Pug mix
Not much is know about the history of the Chug dog or who the first person to intentionally breed this dog was. But this dog’s popularity has been on the increase slowly since he was bred in the early 2000s.
We can still look at the history of the parent breeds to understand this crossbreed better.
Brief Chihuahua History
Chihuahua is an ancient dog whose exact origin is unknown as it predates recorded history.
However, this doggo appears to have come from the Techichi which is a breed that was loved during the Toltec civilization in Mexico.
The Aztecs began to breed the Techichi after they were conquered by the Toltecs in the 1100s. This made the dog lighter and smaller.
After the Spanish colonialism that started in the 1500s, the breed became rare.
Chihuahuas were not standardized until they reached the US in the late 1800s and the early 1900s.
Other Chihuahua mixes
- The Miniature Schnauzer and Chihuahua mix is also known as Chizer and is one of the most adorable Chihuahua mixes.
- Chion is a cross that combines the genes of a Papillon dog and a Chihuahua.
- The Chihuahua and French Bulldog cross is a family-friendly dog that is also known as the French Bullhuahua.
- Chimeranians are super cute crosses between the Chi and a Pomeranian.
- Channel is a hybrid dog that results from the mixing of a Cocker spaniel and a Chihuahua.
- You may be asking yourself what you get when you mix a Beagle and Chihuahua. Well, it is a Chibeagle of course.
- Chiweenies are handsome crosses between Chis and Dachshunds.
- Chi Chi is what you get when you combine the genes of a Chinese Crested and a Chihuahua.
- The Jack Chi is another extremely cute mix of a Chihuahua and a Jack Russel Terrier.
- Corhuahua is a hybrid dog that combines the genes of a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and a Chihuahua.
- Min-Chis are great family pets that result from the mixing of Chihuahuas and Miniature pinschers.
- The Chihuahua and pug mix is a very good companion dog that is also known as the Chug.
- Chi Chons are hybrid dogs from the crossing of Bichon Frises and Chis.
Brief Pug History
Pugs are also ancient Chinese dogs that were originally bred to be companion dogs. This dog is believed to be about 2000 years old.
They were often kept by the loyal families that favored flat-faced dog breeds and were even guarded by royal guards.
Even after these dogs spread to other parts of the world in the 16th and 17th centuries they were still kept as companions by high-ranking individuals and royalty in Europe.
They also spread to other parts of the world such as Tibet where Buddhists kept them as pets.
These doggos finally reached the US in the 19th century and were officially recognized by AKC in 1855.
Even to date Pugs are kept by royal families in Europe.
Other Pug mixes
- The affectionate and loving mix between a Pug and the Australian shepherd.
- A Frug that is also referred to as a Frenchie Pug is a mix between a French Bulldog and a Pug.
- When you mix a Pug and a Corgi you get a muscular build hybrid dog.
- Puggle is an adorable mixed dog that combines the genes of a Pug and a Beagle.
- The Hug is a mixed dog for people that love the Siberian Husky but are not able to handle his enormous size.
- Chugs are compact and muscular dogs that result from the crossing of a Pug and a Chihuahua.
- A cross between a Pug and a Dachshund is known as a Daung.
- Ever heard of the Pom-a-Pug? This is a cross that combines the genes of a Pomeranian and a Pug.
- The Pug and Basset Hound mix that is known as a Bassugg is a hybrid dog that is known for being cute and having serious looks.
- A Bugg is a cute dog that is a result of combining the genes of a Pug and a Boston Terrier.
- Poxers are smart mixes of Pugs and Boxers.
- If you are looking for a friendly dog then the Brussels Griffon and Pug mix are also known as the Brug is the right dog for you.
- The Pugshire is a cross between a Pug and a Yorkshire Terrier.
- Pug Zu is a great family pet that comes from the mixing of a Pug and a Shih Tzu.
How to take care of a Pug Chihuahua Mix
1. Grooming requirements
The Pug Chihuahua Mix has moderate grooming requirements.
Brushing the coat is important as it helps to distribute coat oils to remove dander and dead hair. This should be done at least once a week.
You will also need to bath the dog once a month or when it is necessary. Also, check the wrinkles on the dog’s face because they might have dirt trapped in there. Use a clean and damp cloth to wipe between the wrinkles.
The nails will need to be clipped when they get too long to prevent the dog from getting hurt or uncomfortable.
Dental hygiene is also important and can be done by brushing the teeth and using dental chews to get rid of bad breath and reduce the risk of periodontal diseases.
A professional groomer and vet can help you with some of the grooming processes that you may not be comfortable with.
How to clean a Chug’s wrinkles
The Chihuahua Pug mix wrinkles will need to be cleaned at least twice a week but should be done daily preferably.
This helps to get rid of any debris, food particles, moisture, or any other dirt that can cause infections, bad odor, or irritations to the crossbreed.
You can wipe the folds using baby wipes or cotton balls that have been dipped into warm water. After cleaning, you should use dry cotton balls to ensure that the folds are left moisture-free.
You should pay close attention to the folds around the nose and eyes.
How to take care of a Chihuahua Pug mix eyes
The area around a Pughuahua’s eyes should be cleaned at least once a week as they are prone to developing infections.
You should use wipes to gently get rid of any dirt that can affect the eyes.
Tear stains can also be cleaned using an eye cleaning saline solution with wipes. You should also clean any gunk that may be on the corners of the eyes.
But when doing this you should take care not to get the eyes injured.
If you notice any signs of infections such as irritation, redness, discharge, or a bad odor, you should not hesitate to visit your vet.
2. Exercise requirements
Although Chihuahua Pug mix dogs are small, they are energetic and will need daily exercise. However, he prefers to rest, sleep, and cuddle but if he does not get enough exercise he may get overweight.
This dog will need about 30 minutes of daily exercise. This will ensure that he stays in shape and healthy.
|Number of walks||2 (15 minutes each)|
|Exercise needs||upwards of 30 minutes|
Apart from physical stimulation, you need to make sure that the dog gets enough mental stimulation by playing mind games such as puzzles.
Do not strain or over-exercise this dog as it can lead to overheating and breathing problems.
Do not make this dog your running companion because she is not built for that. But he loves to play, so make sure that you get enough toys for the dog.
What all this means is that this dog is suitable for apartments and small house living. Having a yard would be a bonus because he can have a lot of space to play in.
3. How to feed a Chug dog
Just like the Mini Bulldog, the Chihuahua Pug mix is a dog that loves to eat.
You should ensure that you meet the dog’s calorie requirements. The general rule of thumbs is that you should take the doggo’s weight in the pound and multiply it by 30 calories.
Taking into account the average weight of a Pug and Chihuahua mixed dog this is going to be about 600 calories a day.
This will be about 1 and a half cups of kibble. Give the meals to the doggie twice every day, once in the morning and the evening.
|Pug Chihuahua mix Daily Food Consumption|
|Guide||300 to 700 calories|
|Cups of Kibble||1 to 2|
Feed this crossbreed on a diet that is formulated for small breeds and with the correct amounts of each nutrient.
You should also make sure that you do not give them too many treats and keep checking their weight.
If you have any problems with food allergies with your dog or have any other questions on how you should feed your four-legged friend you should consult your vet for more professional help.
4. Training a Chihuahua Pug mix
Training should be approached in the best way possible if you want to live smoothly with your dog.
You should avoid cutting corners or doing things that might motivate this dog to do bad behaviors such as excessive barking.
This is why the best way to train your dog is through positive reinforcement and reward-based training.
Patience is also key as dog training takes time. Scare tactics such as shouting or punishing your dog will not work.
You need to approach training correctly to make it fun for both you and your dog.
The Chug dog may have issues with concentration and focussing and this is why you have to keep them interested during training and keeping the sessions short and sweet for the dog.
Socialization is also an important part of the training.
5. Puppy proof you home
- Get rid of any sharp object that may injure tha dog’s eyes.
- Keep any drugs, medical or otherwise, away from the Chug’s reach.
- Get rid of any poisonous decorative plants such as sago palms.
- Keep all toilet lids closed at all times to prevent this crossbreed from falling into the toilet.
- Ensure all electrical, video, or audio cables and wires are kept away from the dog to prevent the risk of electrical shocks.
- Never leave any water in your sink or bathtub.
Some of the health concerns
The Chihuahua and Pug mix is also prone to some health issues, some of which are common to both of the parents’ breeds.
Some of these health concoctions are:
- Breathing problems– Because of the shape of their skulls the Chug dog is likely to suffer from some respiratory-related conditions. This is one reason that during exercise you should take care and make sure that your dog does not overheat.
- They may also be prone to some eye problems such as progressive retinal atrophy and degenerative eye disorders which are common in Chihuahuas.
And despite having some health complications they have an average lifespan of between 10 to 13 years.
The Chug dog that is also known as the Chihuahua Pug mix is a cross between the sassy Chihuahua and the goofy Pug.
This makes the Pug and Chihuahua mix a compact, irresistible, and an extremely adorable dog that could fit into any kind of lifestyle. Whether it is a large family or single people this dog is great for anyone willing to meet his needs.
Caring for this designer dog is easy, keeping in mind that he also does not require too much exercise.
He is just the perfect companion dog that loves human affection and play.
Unfortunately, if you are looking for a pooch that you can go on hikes with or one that is going to be your guard dog you should move on and find one that is right for you.
Would you want this as the next member of your family? Have you had any experiences with the Chug dog?
Give us your response and feedback in the comment section below.
There you go WOOOF !!!
You may also like